Dog Town (sometimes spelled Dogtown) appears to have been a term used to denote part of South Martineztown, perhaps due to a farmer named John Grogan who raised hogs in the area and had many dogs for protection.
Newspapers of the early twentieth century make reference to "the northwest part of the city, commonly known as Dog Town," "Dog Town north of the Albuquerque city limits," and "Dog Town in the North Highlands." (It may have also been called Pigeon Town and become known as Las Palomitas after 1930.) Mentions often take a disparaging tone. In the Police Court roster for July 14,1902 in the Albuquerque Daily Citizen, "Dog Town was represented today, as it usually is after a wet Sunday," while the police roster of September 29,1902 finds that "Dog Town, with all their numerous troubles, failed to occupy their prominent place in police court as is their usual custom."
It appears to be an area known for fights, gang arrests, residences of "women of the half world," and disturbances of the peace, based on newspaper articles found. However, by August 20,1925, the Albuquerque Morning Journal asserted that "it has often called Dog Town, but not by its residents" and speculated that "Some people say the name came from a contraction of Adobe Town and others say it was due to the fact that several years ago every family there had from one to six dogs." Searches for information about Dog Town have proved difficult, but those interested in researching the area might consult the titles listed below.
Historic Albuquerque Today calls it "a strangely neutral, out-of-place strip of territory" between Huning Highlands, a "Midwestern Victorian suburb," and Santa Barbara-Martineztown, a "small town within the city that looks like many of the small towns of northern New Mexico." Dog Town was actively used as a name for the area between what is now Martin Luther King Avenue to the south, Lomas Boulevard to the north, Broadway Boulevard to the west and I25 to the east in the early 1900s; now it is a typically suburban area and part of the Martineztown community.