Alameda is along the east bank of the Rio Grande near the intersection of Alameda Boulevard and Fourth Street. There was a Tiwa pueblo here at the time of Coronado's arrival in 1540. As Spanish colonization proceeded along the Rio Grande, Alameda became one of the original Hispanic villages absorbed into the contemporary city of Albuquerque.
Huning Castle refers to a home that was demolished in 1955, a real estate subdivision and a contemporary Albuquerque neighborhood.
The Monte Vista Addition has been referred to as Albuquerque's first suburb.
What is now the city of Rio Rancho was initially part of the Alameda Land Grant, later the Thompson Ranch. A development corporation known as Rio Rancho Estates, Inc., started selling the land in 1962. A 1962 advertising circular offered a half-acre ranch estate for $795.00, payable in monthly installments of $10.00. Almost twenty years later, the ensuing development became the city of Rio Rancho in 1981.
Winrock Center was the first indoor shopping mall in Albuquerque. It opened in 1960.
Alameda map image adapted from U.S. Geological Survey topographic and historical maps from various years. USGS-authored or produced data and information are considered to be in the U.S. public domain. https://www2.usgs.gov/laws/info_policies.html
Atrisco map image taken from Plano de la Provincia Interna de el Nuebo Mexico: 1779, included in the New Mexico Humanities Council's online Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps.
The Bernalillo County Abstract and Title Company Collection includes transaction books (brief handwritten records of property transactions), grantor and grantee indexes, indexes to court actions, and abstracts of title. The property records are organized by the name of the addition/subdivision. Although the records are not comprehensive, they provide detailed information about Albuquerque's growth from the 1880s through the 1950s.