AKA: West End, Old Albuquerque. Annexed into Albuquerque in 1949. 10-block area of historic buildings around Old Town Plaza, with San Felipe de Neri Church on the north side of the Plaza. A popular tourist destination. Albuquerque Old Town website
(1928-1987) Educator and civil rights activist. First woman and first Latina to graduate from the law school at Notre Dame; an annual award is presented there in her name. Served as director of UNM's Institute for Social Research and Development and professor of law at UNM's Law School. Served as director of planning for the State of New Mexico. In 1977, nominated by President Jimmy Carter to be director of the Community Services Administration. Created Channel 41 in Albuquerque, the first Spanish-language television station in the U.S.
Albuquerque's first airport, originally constructed by Santa Fe Railway workers and later expanded by entrepeneur James G. Oxnard. Operated 1928-29 for commercial aviation, until the construction of West Mesa Airport. Continued for private use until taken over by the U.S. Army in 1942 as the Albuquerque Air Depot Training Station, soon afterward to be renamed Albuquerque Army Air Field. The field closed in 1948; the land is now part of Kirtland Air Force Base. Wyoming Boulevard and Ridgecrest Drive were originally access roads for the airport.