Eddy County's 4,198 square miles were carved from the massive land holdings of Lincoln County, then the largest county in the United States, on February 25, 1889. Early Spanish explorers and Native Americans had used the seemingly endless water supply of the Pecos River, which bisects the county, as a trail to the north. Seven Rivers, the first settlement in the Pecos Valley, battled the newly formed town of Eddy for the honor of remaining county seat. Eddy won by a vote of 331 for and 83 against. Although born in lawlessness and diversity, the county flourished as the discoveries of oil, gas, and potash brought industry to support the established fertile agricultural and cattle foundations. This volume explores the early founding families and pioneers and brings to light many of the long-forgotten towns of Dayton, Lookout, Oriental, and Globe that helped form the Eddy County of today.
Images of: Charles Bishop Eddy, Eddy County Courthouse, Eddy County's exhibit entry for the New Mexico State Fair c. 1916, Pat Garrett, James J. Hagerman, Pecos Valley Railroad, Hank Harrison Spring (Rattlesnake Springs) c. 1920, Washington Ranch, Downtown Carlsbad c. 1948 & 1949, Dayton New Mexico, Lakewood Canning Factory, Sanitary Grocery of Artesia c. 1927, People's Mercantile Company in Lakewood c. 1920, Downtown Artesia c. 1907 & 1932 & 1948, Globe Mills & Mining Company c. 1920, Artesia Methodist College South (Western College), Hope New Mexico, Hope Hotel, Phenix New Mexico, Knowles New Mexico, Loving New Mexico, Artesia c. 1904 & 1914, Alfalfa Day in Artesia, Main Street Artesia c. 1950, Kirkwell New Mexico, Sitting Bull Falls, Queen New Mexico, Carl Livingston, Carlsbad Caverns, oil wells, natural gas wells, potash mining, WIPP (Waste Isolation Pilot Plant), Jim White, White's City, La Caverna Hotel c. 1927, Amelia Earhart in Carlsbad Caverns c. 1928, Carlsbad Municipal Beach, Downtown Carlsbad c. 1949.