The Genealogy Center has state of the art equipment for viewing microfilm and microfiche. Please bring a flash/USB drive with you to save your images.
Early Catholic Church Records
The Catholic Church in New Mexico kept meticulous records for baptisms, marriages and burials beginning in the late 1600s. Many of these records still survive and are available at the Genealogy Center on microfilm.
Many of these records have now been digitized and are available at FamilySearch.org. The New Mexico Genealogical Society website has handy tips and pointers for accessing these records.
Spanish, Mexican, and Territorial Archives
The Genealogy Center has these archival records available on microfilm. The guides below will help you to determine which rolls of film will be pertinent to your research. Spanish Archives series I are records related to Spanish land grants. Series II are other types of records. Many of these records have now been digitized and are available on Ancestry Library Edition and Ancestry.com.
Inventory of the Spanish Archives of New Mexico I, 1685-1912
On Ancestry Library Edition these fully digitized documents are called "New Mexico, U.S., Land Records of New Spain, 1692-1846"
Inventory of the Spanish Archives of New Mexico II, 1621-1821
On Ancestry Library Edition these fully digitized documents are called "New Mexico, U.S., Civil Records of New Spain, 1621-1821" and the Mexican Archives of New Mexico are called "New Mexico, U.S., Census, Military, and Other Records of Mexico, 1821-1846"
New Mexico County Records
NM County Microfilm
Summary of records from New Mexico counties available on microfilm at the Genealogy Center, including tax assessment rolls, probate, property/deeds, and mining records.
NM Death & Delayed Birth Records
NM death certificates available on microfilm and on the local area network at the Genealogy Center.
New Mexico City Directories
NM City Directories
Summary of City Directories from New Mexico cities and town available on microfilm at the ABC Library Genealogy Center.
Other Available Records
- Catalogo de pasajeros a Indias durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII
- Albuquerque newspapers 1890-
- Also use your library card to access through NewspaperARCHIVES or NewsBank
- New Mexico Territorial era newspapers
- Indian Census from 1885 to 1940
- Also use your library card to access through Fold3
- Santa Fe Indian School, 1890-1918 films M1473 1 through 38
- Returns from U.S. Military Forts, 1800-1916
- New Mexico Union Soldier service records
- Sender Collection, 1697-1884
- World War I New Mexico Selective Service Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- World War I biographical records, casualties, wounded, and National Guard Enlistment Records from the New Mexico Office of the Adjutant General
- Thomas B. Catron Papers series 302-310
- Select U.S. Census rolls to 1930
- New York Times 1865-