Computer Use Policy
The Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Library System is committed to serving the needs of the community by offering access to educational, recreational and cultural resources. In addition to print and audiovisual materials, customers may access the Internet and numerous software programs at Library branches. While the Internet offers many positive, rewarding and informative experiences, it also poses some risks. The Library supports the right and responsibility of parents to determine and monitor their own children’s use of Library materials and levels of Internet access. Adults accompanying children are encouraged to read "Child Safety on the Information Highway".
- The Library provides filtered access to the Internet in order to adhere to the requirements set forth in the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA, Pub.L. 106-554). Levels of access are determined by the age of the customer. Unfiltered access is available on a per session basis.
- All use of library owned internet computers requires a valid library card. A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign the application and indicate that access to library PCs is desired for children under 17 years of age.
- The Library provides free wireless service with a valid library card in good standing. The self-service wireless network provided for library patrons of any age provides only filtered access. Due to technological limitations, the filter cannot be removed from the wireless network.
- Customers using the Library’s Internet connection are solely responsible for what they access on the Internet. The City of Albuquerque does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of documents or information found on the Internet.
- The Library protects the confidentiality of borrowing and library use records. Privacy of personal information and electronic mail are not guaranteed to customers using the library’s computers.
- The Library does not offer e-mail accounts. Customers may access their own web-based Internet e-mail accounts via the Library’s Internet connection.
- Accessing pornographic or obscene materials through the Library’s Internet and wireless connections is prohibited.
- Customers must comply with applicable copyright laws and licensing agreements.
- All existing laws, library rules and policies, and City policies apply to conduct when accessing the Internet on City owned connections. Unauthorized access to the Library’s computers, databases, network, hardware or software settings is prohibited. Damage to computer resources also is prohibited.
- The Library and the City of Albuquerque shall not be liable for any damages or costs of any type arising out of or in any way connected with use of the Library’s Internet and wireless connections. Customers shall agree to hold the City harmless for any damages arising out of the customer's use of library equipment.
Failure to comply with this policy may result in loss of computer or Library privileges in addition to any appropriate legal action including criminal prosecution.
This policy was formulated with the cooperation of the City Attorney’s Office. August 13, 2008. Approved by the Library Advisory Board. September 4, 2008. Revised August 2012.