It's easy to get a card with the Public Library - visit your local branch and sign up today!
Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Library cards are free.
- You must apply for a library card in-person at an ABQ-BernCo Library branch.
- You can print out the downloadable Library Card Application below, complete it and bring it to any of the Public Library branches. Or, you can request an application at a branch.
- Bring your current photo I.D. and proof of your mailing address on your first visit to the library.
- Your card is good right away at all branches of the Public Library, and for accessing all our eResources and eBooks.
- Use your library card to check out books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs, magazines, and more!
Already have your card? Check out our Quick Start Guide!
Why do I have to go into a library to apply for or renew a library card?
The Public Library is required legally to ensure that the patrons we serve live in the state of New Mexico. Our contracts with our electronic resource vendors, such as OverDrive/Libby and Hoopla, state that the services we pay for are intended for New Mexico state residents, whose tax dollars are used to pay for such services. As such, the Library's policy does require patrons to visit one of our 19 library branches and show their photo ID in order to apply for a library card, and to visit a branch at least once every three years with their photo ID to confirm that they still do live in New Mexico.