The Herald of the Well Country

Larry Glasebrook: A Biography

Larry Glasebrook: A Biography

One of the founders of The Herald of the Well Country, Larry Glasebrook was on the editorial staff for the entirety of its existence.

 Leonard “Larry” William Glasebrook was born 11 August 1887 in Chicago, IL to George and Melina. He was joined by two brothers Ralph in 1890 and Percival in 1893. Their mother, Melina, passed away in December 1900, most likely from tuberculosis. The children were farmed out by their father to live with different members of the family.

As a young adult Larry was employed at a telephone company, but his health broke due to overwork. In 1910, tuberculosis caught up to Larry and at the age of 23 he checked into the Edwards Sanatorium in Naperville, IL. It has been said a doctor stated at the time, “Young man, you are 80 percent dead. You cannot live more than four months.” Larry would prove him wrong. He improved to some extent but looked to move on from Illinois and moved west to New Mexico.

Larry was something of a sanatorium professional, having been in 4 separate ones in the span of just 3 years. In September of 1912, he moved into the Methodist Deaconess Sanatorium, reportedly he was the second patient. Larry “was convinced that the pure mountain air, laden with the odor of pines, would be more beneficial to himself and those similarly afflicted, then the dust and smoke of the city” and began spending summers camping in the East Mountains.

Every summer over the next few years, "Kamp Killgloom" moved around the Manzanos and the Sandia Mountains. It eventually settled on Larry's homestead located on the east side of the Sandias in what is now Tijeras. The name Kamp Killgloom fell away and Larry’s property became known by a more familiar name, "Well Country Camp". In the summer of 1918, Well Country Camp hosted its first patients. Larry hoped to run the Camp on a co-operative basis. Healthseekers could enjoy the mountain retreat at cost. He wanted this opportunity for fresh air available to the average individual, not just the rich.

Larry moved back and forth between the Methodist Sanatorium and his homestead. In the fall of 1919, Larry decided to keep the Camp open year round. In the winter of 1920-1921, Larry was driving through the mountains when his car broke down and he was force to spend all night in the cold. His health gradually declined. In May of 1921, Larry finally succumbed to tuberculosis. Larry’s funeral was held at Immaculate Conception Church, and he was buried at Calvary Cemetery.


Powered by Springshare. All rights reserved. Report a problem.