Read an OverDrive title on your Kindle
We have a separate device profile for Kindle Fire tablets, which are compatible with more digital formats. Remember that some Kindle Books from your library (including many picture books, read-alongs, and graphic novels) aren't compatible with Kindles.
There is also a Libby app for Kindles!
How to borrow and deliver Kindle Books
- Open the Public Library's digital collection.
- Find a Kindle Book to borrow. You can easily see all of your library's Kindle Books by selecting the Kindle Books link near the top of the site (or under Menu icon on mobile devices using an Internet browser).
- Select Borrow. If prompted, sign into your library.
Choose a lending period for the title (if available).
Then, select Borrow again.
- After you borrow the title, select Read now with Kindle.
- You'll be taken to Amazon's website (with login credentials) to complete checkout and send the eBook to your Kindle device or reading app.
- Select a device or reading app from the "Deliver to:" drop-down menu, then select Get library book and the item will be sent to your Kindle device or reading app. You must complete this step for the book you borrowed to appear in the "Your Content and Devices" list in your Amazon account. If the book does not appear in this list, you won't be able to download it on any device.
Note: Your Kindle eReader must have a Wi-Fi internet connection to download library Kindle books from Amazon, or it must be done via USB.
If you want to read the eBook on a different Kindle device or app, you can deliver it again from Amazon's website during the lending period.